12.24.2009

Welcome Back, Luc

I'm currently back in the states. I've been back for a few days now. Already I have asked myself why. But the answers are obvious enough, so let's not assume that me asking means I don't want to be here.
Christmas here is quite a festival. I'm trying to be nice. It's quite an ordeal. Here in Minnesota we will be full of shopping, and big meals, and bulky clothes, and minor quarrels. But the snow is beautiful, cold weather is refreshing, family is lovely, games are hilarious, and gift-giving spirit is wonderful.
I'd honestly forgotten what it's like.

I got really confused (still kindof am) with plate-passing at the table. It's just not something that happens in Korea. Like, ever. And I'd completely forgotten how to do it. I almost handed my uncle my plate after dishing up my own vegetables, instead of giving him the vegetable bowl. -_- And I notice that I hardly ever look people in the eye anymore when they're talking. And I think they're a bit put off by it.
I'm also not yet used to the average height of Americans, or the average weight. Perhaps these are a bit more exaggerated here in the Norwegian Northwest.

But here's a little deeper look. Culture shock, first of all, is a real diagnosable psychological problem. Its effects are mostly pretty obvious, but the coping and the result of experiencing culture shock is what I'm focusing on here. There are generally 3 overall reactions to culture shock.

  1. One is Adoption. An individual truly adapts to the new environment, takes on habits, language, attitudes, and values. They do this at the cost of their original identity. They normally remain in the new country forever.
  2. Two is Cosmopolitanism. An individual adapts the points of the new culture they see as positive and retains aspects of their former selves or culture, creating a specific blend. They have no major problems relocating again.
  3. Three is Rejection. These people find integration impossible, and that cultural differences are too great and unaccaeptable. They withdraw to a "ghetto" of their own culture and specific comfortable surroundings. They see return to their native culture as the only acceptable answer to the situation. Yet these people have the most problems upon return.

I've watched my students come and go from other countries, and seen various incarnations of all 3 outcomes. I've seen extremes of all. I know of a few cosmopolitans who've lived in 4+ countries.

What's the problem, you ask?............. I think I fit in between Cosmo and Adopter. And I don't want to be an adopter. I've watched myself very closely....... and thinking about it, I'm more Adopter than Cosmopolitan, and that's kindof a shame.

No comments: