11.24.2009

I'm not going to let myself

be one of those people who starts a blog to keep in touch or chronicle their life and adventures and then drops it after a few months because they get tired of writing, or worse, runs out of things to write. I've got plenty of stuff to write about, it's just not all been worth putting on this blog lately. Plus I've been busy.
Somebody like Luc should make it at least a year before he drops the blogging habit.

First of all, I def have a technology obsession. And my internet connectivity does not help that. I've set up quite a digital "eye" that allows me to easily follow consumer electronics and software development in some areas. But it's time consuming and almost pointless, because A, I'm not buying a bunch of electronics or anything, and B, it's not like anyone needs that information from me. Like, if I worked at Geek Squad or something, this addiction would make sense. But I'm a Physics teacher who teaches English..... and Martial Arts. So it's kindof a waste of time and a killer of productivity.

I'm going to explain now what's been up this month..... sortof.

When I went to The Philippines (which was beautiful and stuff)

there were a few problems. First of all, we flew Cebu airlines (not splendid, but anyways,) and I had to spend about the first 30-45 minutes of our time at cruising altitude explaining the entry/customs forms to my students. (Even if you've studied a foreign language, do you know how to say "Nationality" or "Place of Issue"?) I was in the flight attendants' way, apparently, but they seemed charmed by the young English teacher helping all his students. Then I finished all that, finally fell asleep (dead tired.)
Suddenly, I woke up to the flight attendants shaking me and the students around me asking me to wake up. "Sir, one of your students was _________ .......... we had to confiscate______ ............ lands a police officer will escort him......." in a hurried Filippino accent (or any accent, I suppose) is not a pleasant way to wake up. After waking up, I learned that one of my students (who'd never flown outside of Korea before and didn't understand the flight announcements which were only in English) smoked in the airplane lavatory about 3 hours into our flight. I was pissed. But then I remembered that I'm not actually in charge of these students. This is not my class trip. And the scuba professor speaks decent English. So I sent the flight attendants away.
Anyways, we landed, this kid got scolded and arrangements were made for him paying his penalty fees after he returned to Korea, and then we went to the resort. The Philippines makes me sweat.

No comments: