I think I should probably be trying harder to maintain my resposibilities. But I have many, so that's no easy thing. I guess everyone faces this dilemma. We fall behind a bit, we get ahead a bit, we feel accomplished, we feel failure. Our nature makes us inconsistent. We waver between desire and duty, between relief and reproach.
Chuseok (추석) is the traditional fall harvest holiday of Korea. It falls on the Autumn Solstice, which is this weekend. Similar in concept to Thanksgiving or Samhain, only without any indians or bonfires. Chuseok does include some religious tradition, however, from Confucianism (not a religion, I know) and Buddhism. Namely, families visit the gravesite of their family's ancestors and offer food, drink, etc as well as clean the area of the gravesite. There's also a special food associated with Chuseok, which is a type of small sweet-filled rice-cake called Songpyeon.
I can feel myself being swept up in a tide of Chuseok fever, like the swell before a holiday in any culture, I suppose. Everyone gets ready for said holiday, makes plans, collects special gear, gathers loved ones or friends, normal schedules are compromised, and lots of money and time get spent. The holiday comes with all it's associated ceremony, memory, reverance, criticism, joy, and festivity. The holiday is celebrated! Then it passes, and is missed. The feeling wears, and people drag themselves back into the parade of days that aren't so special as that one. Our endless numbered days. The wave receeds and the beach is changed, but no less or more flat than before.
I'm jaded, obviously.
I have a new nickname. From David, out of nowhere. Apparently I'm a greek dessert called Lucamades. lol. That one sounds like a greek god's name or something. God of Tasty Treats, LUCAMADES. Just imagine that in a giant booming voice. ^_^
9.30.2009
Bow down, people.
Labels:
Culture - Food,
Culture - Special Events,
friends,
introspection,
music,
nicknames
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment